Monday, September 17, 2012

B1G Power Rankings: Week 4

1. Ohio State: The Buckeyes struggled with Cal, but still found a way to win.  Braxton Miller is capable of making a big play with his arm or legs at all times and their defense can make big plays as well.

2. Michigan: Denard Robinson will single handedly win this team 9-10 games.  I am concerned with the lack of a running game outside of DRob, however.

3. Michigan State: I thought MSU was a little overrated to start the season and I think I have been vindicated to an extent.  They still lack playmakers at receiver and Andrew Maxwell is a smart polished young quarterback, but he still needs time to develop and is not going to be even ½ as productive as Kirk Cousins.  They also can’t continue to rely on LeVeon Bell to run the ball 30-40 times per game, eventually they are going to need someone else to step up and make plays.   Outside of Notre Dame they really haven’t played anyone either because Boise State is a shadow of what they were the last 4-5 years.

4. Nebraska: I am putting the Huskers here because UCLA is for real.  Their only loss was to maybe the most improved team in the country in UCLA on the road, without their starting running back Rex Burkhead.  Taylor Martinez has improved his passing accuracy dramatically.   My only concern thus far with Nebraska is their defense.

5. Northwestern: If there is a better young coach in the country than Pat Fitzgerald I sure would like to meet him.  I love their quarterbacks and their offense in general, although the defense gives me pause.  I think the Wildcats could be a darkhorse in the Legends.

6. Wisconsin: I know they lucked out!  I know Bret Bielema is about as likeable as used car salesman, but I predicate my rankings on how I think the B1G standings will look at the end of the year.  We know they don’t have Russell Wilson anymore, so their quarterback play fell off a bridge, and they only have one reliable receiver in Jared Abbrederis, but they still have one of the better offensive lines in the conference along with Montee Ball and James White.  Eventually their running game will get going and their defense has played pretty well.  I’m sorry, but I still think they are the favorites to win the Leaders division.

7. Purdue: The Boilermakers feel like Illinois last year.  Good but not great defense, inconsistent at quarterback, questionable coaching, and below average skill people.  I think like Illinois last year the Boilermakers will get off to a hot start and fade down the stretch as their schedule becomes increasingly difficult.   The Boilermakers just feel too trendy right now and I hate that. 

8. Minnesota: I still don’t have a great feel for the Gophers.  I know they are better than last year but that’s not saying much coming off back to back 3-9 seasons.  The defense is better although I still think you can run on the Gophers, which isn’t good with teams like Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Michigan  on their schedule.   The offense has been balanced so far, but the injury to MarQueis Gray is cause for concern because the offense under Max Shortell will be significantly different, going to a more aerial attack.

9. Iowa: The Hawkeyes have started their season like they usually do, losing to Iowa State and struggling with directional schools.  Haven’t we seen this before?  I think the Hawkeyes will improve as the season progresses like they usually do under Kirk Ferentz.  The only problem is they look really bad right now, so does that mean they will just be mediocre at the end of the year?

10. Illinois: I have no clue on Illinois.  Honestly I don’t.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go 9-3 and challenge for the Leaders crown or go 3-9 and look completely overmatched in the B1G.

11. Penn State: The Nittany Lions put together a clean, well-played football game.  It was refreshing and had to leave you feeling good for Bill O’Brien and his players after all they have been through.

12. Indiana: I’ll tell you what the Hoosiers defense is awful, but they are going to score points on people this year and in a mediocre Leaders division they are going to win a couple B1G games this year.  I could see the winner of the Leaders division finishing 5-3 and the last place team finishing 3-5 with everyone else at 4-4.   That of course is after Ohio State, which isn’t eligible this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment