Monday, October 10, 2011

B1G power rankings: Week 7

1. Wisconsin: I wonder if Whiskey will put up 80 again this year on IU?  The answer is simple, they will if they want to.



2. Michigan: I am surprised that Michigan has been this good.  I thought the new staff at Michigan would neuter Denard Robinson, instead he's a Heisman front runner and his numbers are comparable to last year.  The defense has been way better than expected, which is why the Wolverines will avoid a late season collapse for the third year in a row.



3. Nebraska: The Huskers defense has been making me very nervous this year.  They should be ashamed of themselves for giving up 27 points to Ohio State at home last weekend.  Thank god Taylor Martinez, Rex Burkhead and company have been able to move the ball on offense or this would be a long first year in the B1G for the Cornhuskers.

4. Illinois: I was wrong on Illinois.  I thought they would be mediocre to bad this year.  I predicted they would win only 5 games and they have already eclipsed that pathetic projection after 6 games!  Ron Zook will be sending me a big plate of crow to munch on.  The Nathan Scheelhaase to A.J. Jenkins hook is nasty!



5. Michigan State:  The Spartans look great on paper, both offensively and defensively, but is it just me or is something missing?  We shall see this week against in state rival Michigan if the Spartans are contenders or pretenders.  The game with the Wolverines will go a long in deciding who will represent the Legends division in Indianapolis the first of December in my opinion.



6. Penn State: The Nittany Lions defense is for real!  Wow!  They absolutely shut down one of the most balanced and explosive offenses in the B1G in Iowa.  I must say that I didn't see that coming.  I thought for sure Iowa would score some points against PSU and pull out a victory.  If the Nittany Lions can get Silas Redd going and find some consistency at the quarterback position they may have a chance to surprise some people like they did last weekend against Iowa.



7. Ohio State: The Buckeyes showed me a lot more than I expected from them last Saturday night in Lincoln.  If Braxton Miller can stay healthy and continue to improve, the Buckeyes could be a tough out late in the year.  Remember, the Buckeyes will have Devier Posey and Boom Herron at their disposal moving forward, which will make their offense look considerably better.



8. Iowa: I am disappointed in Iowa.  I don't know if it's the ineffectiveness of Marcus Coker, the lack of play makers along the front seven or what, but I legitimately thought the Hawkeyes would be better this year.  Granted they only have two close losses on the road, but I am not seeing any signs that lead me to believe the Hawkeyes will turn around their season this year.  I hope I'm wrong...



9. Northwestern: The Cats are definitely a Jekyll and Hyde type of team.  At the end of the day they are a team with a suspect defense that gets zero production from their running backs in the run game.  That means this is a fringe bowl team at best.



10. Purdue:  The Boilermakers got the perfect medicine this weekend: the Minnesota Golden Gophers.  The Gophers handed the game to the Boilermakers (literally) and the Boilermakers weren't rude, they accepted the Gophers gifts with a smile and a thank you.  Minnesota received a penalty after one of their players ran into the Boilermakers punter and injured himself, not the punter, in the process.



11. Indiana: The Hoosiers had a short lived 10 point lead over Illinois before getting absolutely demolished by a superior team.  The Hoosiers only chance for a B1G win is in the Old Oaken Bucket game against in state rival Purdue.



12. Minnesota:  Whatever momentum the Gophers had after their season opening 19-17 loss to USC in LA is long gone.  The game against USC seems like 37 years ago.  The Gophers have had a nightmare season.  I don't even think pessimists envisioned the catastrophe that has taken place in Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment