Monday, October 24, 2011

B1G power rankings: Week 9

1. Michigan State: I can't believe I'm putting the Spartans here.  After their miserable performance in week 3 against Notre Dame I thought they were going to end up being a huge disappointment.  The successful Hail Mary against Wisconsin is the type of moment that could propel the Spartans to their first outright conference championship in years.  They are clearly in the drivers seat to represent the Legends Division in Indianapolis.  I think they will take care of a flawed Nebraska team this weekend in Lincoln and from there they should be able to hit cruise control.

2. Wisconsin: I think the Badgers are a better football team than Michigan State so I feel kind of funny putting them below Sparty, and losing on a fluke play shouldn't mean that the Badgers are worse, but the bottom line is Michigan State beat Wisconsin fair and square as instant replayed clearly showed.  However, I do think the Badgers will get their revenge in Indianapolis the first weekend of December.

3. Penn State:  Look at the steady Nittany Lions!  They sure aren't pretty but they get the job done.  Matt McGloin will do enough at the quarterback position the rest of the way to keep the Nitts in the Leaders division race the entire year.

4. Nebraska:  The Huskers rolled Minnesota in Minneapolis, which isn't exactly a tall order.  We have come to find that the Nebraska defense can be exposed and will be this weekend at home against Michigan State.

5. Iowa: Here come the Hawkeyes with their annual late season run.  I really like Iowa down the stretch and I wouldn't count them out of the Legends division race just yet.

6. Michigan: It will be interesting to see how Michigan responds after an emotional loss to arch rival Michigan State after they had a bye week to sit and think about it.  I'm still unsure about what to make of this one loss Michigan team in 2011.  I do like what Brady Hoke is building long term, however.

7. Ohio State: The Buckeyes were showing some signs of life before their bye week and I expect to continue to see improvement in the 2nd half.  I think Luke Fickell will have his men playing hard and with nothing to lose.

8. Illinois: What ever happened to Illinois?!  Ron Zook happened.  If the new AD at Illinois knows what's good for him and the program they will make a move immediately.

9. Purdue:  Danny Hope's team is showing a little fight and scrap down the stretch here.  It will be interesting to see what happens late.

10. Northwestern: I didn't like Northwestern to start the year and so far my prediction is looking good.  I thought their success relied far too much on a player coming off of an Achilles injury.

11. Indiana: Kevin Wilson's bunch is going to get a win this year, mark my words.  I actually like the way the Hoosiers are playing and competing is some weird way.

12. Minnesota: The Gophers played much better in the 2nd half against Nebraska but the game was already over and Nebraska had already bailed.  I don't see another win on the schedule this year for the Gophers.  What a disappointing year after that promising opener against USC.

No comments:

Post a Comment