Monday, October 31, 2011

B1G power rankings: Week 10

1. Wisconsin: I am not going to penalize the Badgers after losing two games on Hail Marys, and I most certainly will not put Nebraska ahead of them after the Badgers destroyed them 5 weeks ago.  The bottom line is this - the B1G stinks this year, especially toward the top.

2. Nebraska: The Huskers have rebounded nicely after getting stomped by Wisconsin in their B1G opener in Madison a month ago.  The return of cornerback Alfonzo Dennard has helped the defense dramatically, especially after losing tackle Jared Crick for the season.  I didn't expect Nebraska to hold Michigan State to 3 points, that was a very impressive defensive performance last week.

3. Penn State: If someone told me that Penn State would be 8-1 a month ago I would have laughed until I started crying.  The Penn State D is for real and while watching their games is the equivalent of watching your neighbor paint his garage you can't deny the fact that the Nittany Lions are a good solid football team.

4. Michigan State: The Spartans have played a murderers row of: Michigan, Wisconsin, and @Nebraska and came away with a record of 2-1.  That should be good enough to get them to Indy, because I see both Michigan and Nebraska suffering losses down the stretch.

5. Ohio State: I didn't see the Buckeyes beating the Badgers, but they did.  Luke Fickell has a right to hold his head high for the way the Buckeyes are playing right now.  He is sprucing up his resume for his next job as an assistant coach (sarcasm).

6. Michigan: The Wolverines have a lot to prove after laying an egg against Michigan two weeks ago.  They played well against Purdue, but that loss to Michigan State doesn't sit well with me.  It just feels like this team is missing a few pieces and is still a year or two away from returning to greatness.

7. Illinois: At the beginning of the year I predicted Illinois would only win 5 games.  It looks like I am only going to be one game off;)

8. Iowa: I don't know what happened to Iowa against Minnesota but they should be ashamed of themselves.

9. Northwestern: Playing Indiana can help you get off the schneid.  Has Pat Fitzgerald interviewed anywhere recently?

10. Purdue: How are the Boilermakers a .500 team?  It feels like they are much worse...

11. Minnesota: The Gophers locked up Jerry Kill for seven years and kept Floyd of Rosedale in Minnesota for a second consecutive year.  Not a bad week at all!

12. Indiana: My high school alma mater,  the South St. Paul Packers could put up 50+ points against IU and I'm only 1/2 kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment